Monday, May 4, 2009

Killarney National Park

Sunday I ventured down to County Kerry to do some hiking at Killarney National park. This is somewhere I had been three years ago when I cam but have wanted to return to. The landscape and scenery at Killarney are absolutely breathtaking. The town is situated just off the coast of a large lake connected to two smaller lakes and surrounded by Ireland's highest mountains.

I went with Agathe and her friend Estelle from France. We did a round trip hike of 16km (roughly 10 miles) beginning and ending in Killarney town with our furthest point being Torc Waterfall and the surrounding mountainside.

At this park you could hike all day and still not see half of the sights. You could easily take 3-4 days to hike all through the countryside here. I would certainly love to return and do a biking trip here but I do not know if I will have enough time.

One suggested trip is to rent a bike in Killarney town, bike to Ross Castle and take a boat though the lakes to the other side of the park where you can bike through the mountains through the Gap of Dunlow and finally back to Killarney town.

No comments:

Post a Comment